Exciting news Crafter's, we've got another inspiring supplier for you! Helen Johnson from the Decorating Store Online will be joining us on Sunday 31st July to demonstrate the fabulous Rust-Oleum range so we caught up with her before her shows for some sneak peeks and she even gave us her 5 top tips!
Upcycling has seen a huge surge in popularity over the last 18 months with more and more people looking to transform their old and worn furniture into something usable in their homes to save the cost of buying new!
Not only do you get the satisfaction of the money you’ve saved but also knowing its something that you’ve created to be utilized in and around your home, or to be gifted or even sold for use by someone else.
There are more and more products entering the upcycling market but our favourite here at Decorating Centre Online is the Rust-Oleum range – a global brand that specialises in ‘specialist coatings’ and with this breadth of knowledge and experience comes top quality products! They have one of the largest ranges and cover all bases recognizing the shabby chic style isn’t for everyone!
So what would we say are our top 5 tips for the new upcyclers out there?
- View every item as an opportunity for upcycling! Not just the bits and pieces you have around the home, I also shop with my upcycling glasses on! There is so much out there in the shops at the moment that is a great and affordable piece but usually it lacks style and flair. See past the plain wood finish and think about its potential, with just a lick of paint! You really can save a fortune versus buying it ‘ready-made’.
- Don’t be afraid to try it! Painting isn’t a difficult skill so really anyone can try it. This stuff is water based so easy to clean up! If you go wrong, never fear just re-coat it!
- Don’t get too carried away! Distressing is the big look in chalk paint upcycling at the moment but take it steady. Don’t rush in and sand away too much! If you do sand away too much then don’t worry, re-coat and start again.
- Colours in the range not quite the right shade for what you’re after? Don’t worry you can mix them together to create your own bespoke colours!
- Natural wood can soak in some oils from its use over the years which can end up soaking through into your paint coating so that ring mark from a cuppa on your original surface may come back to haunt you! These are the only scenarios where a sealer or a primer are recommended before starting your project.
Tune in to see Helen's first Rust-Oleum launch shows on Hochanda on Sunday 31st July 10am, 2pm and 5pm!
You can watch Hochanda live online, Sky channel 663, Freeview 39 (6am - 9pm) or Freesat 817.