Debbie Shore’s Threaders Project 2: Currant Bun
This delightful rabbit in her pretty pink pinny is showing how much she loves you! She has long bendy ears and her arms and legs are jointed with buttons. She stands 28" tall. use a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Download the pattern this link
- 50cm x 114cm plain fabric
- 50cm x 114cm patterned fabric
- 2m of 1/2" wide ribbon
- Black embroidery thread
- 2 small black buttons for the eyes
- 4 x 2cm buttons for the joints
- 2 buttons to decorate the heart
- A long needle and strong thread
- 20cm of 0.5cm wide elastic
- 250g of toy filler
- 2 chenille sticks
- Erasable ink pen
1. Download the pattern here. Cut out the ear pieces and place the chenille sticks to the centre of the wrong side of the patterned fabric. Zig zag stitch in place.
2. Sew the plain ear fabric to the patterned, right sides together, leaving the bottom open. Turn the right way out and press, then edge stitch around the ear.
3. Sew four pieces of 15cm x 12cm of patterned fabric to four pieces of 15cm x 23cm of plain fabric.
4. Piece the fabrics right sides together with the seams matching. Place the leg pattern piece over the top and cut out the shapes. Sew together, leaving a gap in the back seam for turning. Snip the curves. Turn the right side out and stuff with toy filler, then hand-sew the opening closed.
5. Cut out the plain arm pieces and sew together, leaving a gap in the straight side. Snip the curves.
6. Turn the right side out and stuff with toy filler. Hand sew the opening closed.
7. To make the fingers, carefully sew two 2cm lines from the end of each hand on your machine.
8. Take the body fabric pieces. Fold the straight ends of the ears in half, with the patterned fabric on the inside. Tach together, facing inwards to the top of the head.
9. Place the second body fabric over the top, and sew all the way round leaving a gap in the back of about 8cm for turning. Turn the right side out and stuff tightly with toy filler. Hand sew the opening closed.
10. With your long needle and strong thread, hold the arms either side of the body and take the needle straight through all three pieces, as you come back through, sew through a button on each shoulder. Knot the thread securely and repeat with the legs. Use 25cm of your ribbon to make a boy around the ears.
11. Using your erasable ink pen, draw two dots for eyes, a triangular nose and a smiling mouth. Sew the small buttons on the eye marks, and embroider the nose and mouth.
12. Add a touch of blusher to her cheeks to bring her to life!
13. To make the dress, cut a strip of patterned fabric measuring 114cm x 20cm. Sew the short ends right sides together to make a tube, then double hem each long side by 1cm.
14. Unpick the top of the side seam, inside the hem, and thread the elastic through the channel using either a bodkin or a safety pin. Pull tight and knot. This fits just under Currant's arms.
15. Take a 95cm length of ribbon and gather with a running stitch close to one edge.
16. Sew, facing inwards, around the curved edge of the pinny.
17. Place the second side of the pinny over the top and sew around the curved edge. Turn the right side out and press. Cut a 56cm length of ribbon and sew to the top of the pinny to make a tie, folding the top edge of the pinny to make it neat behind the ribbon.
18. Tie around the top of the skirt, but a few hand stitches around the ribbon to hold in place if you wish. To make the heart, firstly sew together fabric and press the seam open.
19. Place together with another piece of patterned fabric measuring 12cm square. Pop the heart pattern over ther seam and cut around the shape. Sew the two pieces right sides together, unpick a few stitches from the entire seam, slip the curves and turn the right side out. Stuff with toy filler and hand sew the opening closed.
20. Add a couple of buttons to decorate the heart, then hand sew to Currant's hands.
21. Add a couple of bows to her shoes and she's ready for a bunny hug!
Make sure you watch Hochanda every day 24/7 for lots of fun and crafty demonstrations and inspiration from your favourite guests, including the amazing Debbie Shore! You can watch Hochanda live online, Sky channel 663, Freeview 39 (12am – 4am) or Freesat 817.